Saturday, September 17, 2011

Ed and Sarah Talk About Comics, Part Two!



Ed was waaaay more proactive about getting on top of his reading list this past week, so let's start off with his thoughts on Swamp Thing #1 (which chronicles Alec Holland's recovery from the nightmare of thinking he was ACTUALLY Swamp Thing),
Animal Man #1 (in which Buddy Baker struggles with how to be a hero and a family man, while finding out his daughter can do something mega-creepy) and Action Comics #1 (during which Superman gets chased by cops, forces a confession out of a crook and generally kicks butt before being ingeniously handed his own butt by none other than Lex Luthor).

Ed's Thoughts:

Alright. So i stopped by my local comic store and picked up three of the new re-launches. I probably wouldn't have picked up so many, but Challengers (best comic store in chicago, yeah?) offered a B1G1 offer with Justice League, so... free comics.

Let's break it down:

Swamp Thing #1: I'm not super familiar with Swamp Thing. I've only just started working my way through Alan Moore's run, and really, my knowledge of the character is sorely lacking. That being said, I thought this was a hell of a fun ride. Scott Snyder's never been one to shy away from gore, but he's got a great grasp on how to use it effectively, and how to use violence to serve the story. The creepy stuff in here works great, but I think the best parts are the character building with Alec. He comes off as very smart, very educated, but also humbled by his experiences, and you get the sense that he's been changed by his past. I'm really excited to see where this goes, especially since they seem to be building to a semi-crossover with....

Animal Man #1: This was fantastic and creepy and great. Buddy has always been a favorite of mine, and it's lovely to see him get another chance at a starring role. It's also good to see that Jeff Lemire understands what makes the character interesting, and that's his family. Buddy's family is sketched out really well, and that allows the story the extra emotional oomph it needs to succeed. It's so nice to see an author realize that a character's supporting cast aren't an albatross.

The direction of these two books makes me wonder about the future of the Vertigo imprint, as both of them seem like they would fit in quite nicely there. The DC universe is getting more horror-driven, it seems. (Not "darker." Batman's been plenty fucking dark for awhile, and from what I've heard about Detective #1, it's only going to get worse. Ugh.)

Action Comics #1: This was just so much fun. This legitimately felt like a fresh, new take on Superman/Clark, and I really enjoyed it. His sense of youthful brashness, his landlady bugging him for rent, "Always one of you wants to test what The Daily Planet says about me, huh?", all just so joyous. Then the transition from fun and games to the fury at civilian damage, and the ending, oh the ending. I loved this comic.

Question: I'm unsure how Clark knew the train was in trouble? That link was not especially clear to me. Ah well.

Sarah's Response to Ed:

Swamp Thing 1:
I don't know much about Swamp Thing, either, but I think Scott Synder wraps everything together in a nice package here. When the story opens up, we learn everything we need to know about the character through a lovely conversation with Superman, and we get to see how he's physically struggling with the plant life that's clawing at him to return to being Swamp Thing ... or so we think!

I think it's such an amazing set-up to have a man conflicted about what he can do -- and having that man literally be chased down by the forces of nature is just icing on the proverbial cake. Seriously, when I think about what makes comics have a grand scope, it's ideas like this, where one man can save the world, but he has no clue what his past is or what his abilities are, yet the world is LITERALLY calling out to him to do something, i.e., to let vegetation choke the planet. Talk about stakes! And just when he's about to give the world what he thinks it wants (his crazy plant-growing formula), boom, there's Swamp Thing to stop him. That's a hell of a story to start us off with!

I'm really excited to follow this, not just because the story is so well put-together, but because I care about Alec Holland as a person, and the artwork goes a long way towards grabbing my interest. The creation of the tornado that dismantles and reassembles a dead mastodon, plus the opening sequences where fish, birds and bats are dying around Aquaman, Superman and Batman -- that is amazing work by Yanick Paquette.

Animal Man 1: I have also never read Animal Man before (so I guess this drawing new readers thing might be working to some degree, eh?). But I liked his turn in 52, and I love the importance of Buddy's family to him. It reminds me a bit of what The Flash used to be, where the people grounding our lead character were just as loveable and had high stakes in all the adventures surrounding the hero. I've never read anything by Jeff Lemire before, so the extra weirdness of a dude walking around as a red vein monster really freaked me out. To the point where I might be a little bit too scared to see where this story is going. But dang it, I wanna know what's going on with Buddy's little girl! So Lemire's probably got me for the next issue.

What also has me is the art. Check out those crazy wide panels, with lots of empty space and tans and beiges dominating the landscape, with Buddy's blue uniform popping off the page when it appears. So strange and otherworldly.

I'm not sure I know what the heck is happening in this comic, or with this nightmare villain. But that doesn't bother me. I know what's in danger, and I'm hoping Buddy will figure out how to fight against it.

Action Comics 1: This was a fun, fun, economical comic. A lot of people accuse Morrison of being high-concept and confusing. Sometimes that caaaaan be true, depending on how much you enjoy the crazy things he does. But people also forget what a solid storyteller he is. In this short 22 pages, he introduces us to a new Superman, introduces the supporting cast, has Clark show up for a bit and then speeds into our villains' brains, one of whom (let's be real; we all knew it was gonna be Lex Luthor) has been working to undermine our hero the entire issue. But we don't realize how UNTIL THE ISSUE'S VERY LAST PAGE!

This Superman is a revamp of the Superman Siegel and Shuster created, with the irony of a god fighting for the common man stripped away. Which is good, because I believe the need to be ironic about Supes and what he can do and why he does it -- well, those are all the things that have hurt the character over the years. This guy is Clark in that he's a farmer's son; he wears a cape AND jeans. He's Superman because he's a badass,

That bit we get with Clark talking to his landlord proves how scary Superman is, going after seemingly every wrongdoer with the pleasure of an omnipotent being. What's a regular person supposed to do with a guy who peeks through walls to see if you're behaving? Sure, he's a champion of the people, but if you step outta line, angry Superman will hop into your apartment and kick the crap out of you.

This Golden Age version of Superman is one I've appreciated more on an intellectual level, though he makes an appearance in Mark Waid's Bithright every once in a while (three words: scary laser eyes). Superman's powers and what he does with them will clearly make this an action-packed book, and one that showcases what this rougher version of the character is capable of. I dig that.

P.S.: I really had a hard time forging a connection of Morrison's here revolving around the train crash. I think Superman was supposed to think that the train tracks were faulty because the guy he forced to confess at the top of issue had paid for cheap labor to build them shoddily. And then it turned out that Lex had planted a bomb to blow the bridge? So Superman was both right and wrong about sensing danger. I dunno. Morrison doesn't always make small time jumps between panels work. And while Rags Morales is an amazing artist, I wonder if maybe he could have telegraphed this connection somehow?

Ed and I also read Batgirl #1 and were so turned off by its violence and the erasing of Barbara Gordon's disability, we found we didn't have much to say about it. We also read Stormwatch #1, but felt kinda eh about it. Certainly, I wouldn't not recommend it. I would simply say, know your The Authority, because it's hard to track the characters.

Also, if they don't make Apollo and Midnighter a homosexual couple now that they're operating in a mainstream book, there will be angry letters written by myself to DC Comics.

No comments:

Post a Comment